- 1 cup dry garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound (480 g) skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) water
Place drained garbanzo beans in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches (5.08 cm) Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Remove the saucepan from the heat. Cover and set aside for 1 hour. Drain and rinse under cold water colled beans.
Place beans and chicken in 4-5-quart (4-5L) slow cooker. Add chopped onions, bouillon granules, herbs, and seasoning.
Cover the pot and cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours.
Turn off the slow cooker and open the lid. Remove cooked chicken from the cooker and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into bite-size pieces, then return to the crock pot. Stir well and allow to stay for 5 minutes before serving.
Ladle the soup into soup bowls. Garnish with spigs of fresh thyme, if desired.