Two equally outstanding pies, classic apple and creamy cheesecake, had babies. Their delicious babies are called mini caramel apple cheesecakes with streusel on top… I realize classic cheesecake and apple pie don’t typically have a streusel topping, but when does streusel not make EVERYTHING better?
MAKING THE MINI GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST:
This delicious cheesecake crust is made up of 3 very simple ingredients; graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and butter. The key component of making the perfect crust is evenly coating the all the crumbs with butter. Butter acts as a binder and keeps the crust from crumbling!
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line baking sheet with individual quiche cups (I found these on amazon and am buying them!) OR for an extra small pies; line a cupcake tin with liners.
- Add graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and melted butter to your food processor/pastry blender and blend until brown sugar and graham cracker crumbs are blended and butter is evenly distributed and mixture looks crumbly.
*if you don’t have a food processor, hand mixer, pastry blender don’t panic! Whisk melted butter sugar and graham cracker crumbs together in a medium size mixing bowl with a fork!
- Fill each pie liner about ⅓ of the way up and flattening the crumbles into an even, flat crust. Bake 5-8 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CHEESECAKE FILLING:
When making a creamy cheesecake filling be sure to use room temperature cream cheese, or if you’re impatient like me heat it in warm water for about 10 minutes. This will evenly heat the cream.cheese and make it easy to blend. Making sure it is room temperature ensures creamy goodness and helps prevent lumps of cream cheese throughout. . . (picture below doesn’t have lumps! Those are air bubbles haha)
- Add cream cheese to mixing bowl and whip until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and beat at a medium speed until smooth. Add vanilla then eggs (1 egg at a time). Pour filling over warm crust leaving about half an inch margin from top in each pie so there is room for diced apples and streusel topping.
SHOP MY FAVORITE KITCHEN TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE!
click photos for links!
*UPDATE: I bought and LOVE using these tart/mini pie molds!
HOW TO MAKE CHEESECAKE APPLE FILLING:
- Add diced apples, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to a bowl. Stir together and spoon evenly over cheesecake filling.
MAKING CRISPY STREUSEL TOPPING:
- Add brown sugar, flour, rolled oats, unsalted butter (softened), cinnamon and salt to food processor/pastry blender and stir until combined and mixture looks crumbly. Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over cheesecakes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes (varies by cheesecake size) until cheesecake filling is set.
- Drizzle with caramel topping and they’re ready to serve!
- If you’re making this recipe ahead of time it pop it in the fridge! It reheats beautifully or it’s nice and refreshing served cold! To reheat, put it back in the oven for about 8 minutes and it will taste like it just came out of the oven!